We are the Open Doors project, dedicated to offering shelter to at-risk fannish content. We have several subprojects and rescue efforts aimed at archiving and preserving different kinds of fanworks and artifacts of fan culture.
Our work includes:
- Online Archives: The Online Archives page links to the rescued archives and challenges hosted at the Archive of Our Own, which represent the majority of the work undertaken by Open Doors.
- Special Collections: The Special Collections Gallery includes digital projects which cannot currently be integrated into the Archive or Fanlore. These include .pdfs, multimedia fanworks, historically important fan sites, and other digital artifacts.
- Fan Culture Preservation Project: A joint venture between the OTW and the Special Collections department at the University of Iowa to archive and preserve fanzines and other non-digital forms of fan culture.
- GeoCities Rescue Project: A project dedicated to preserving fan sites which would otherwise have been lost through Yahoo’s closing of GeoCities in October 2009.
- Yahoo Groups Rescue Project: A project dedicated to preserving fanfiction, fanart, and meta from Yahoo Groups which would otherwise have been lost through Verizon’s closing of Yahoo Groups in January 2020.